Monday, September 10, 2007

Carson Pass

This weekend my family met up with fellow blogsmith Mike and his wife Danielle. I got to know Mike through blogging before I had a chance to meet him in person. When I finally got to meet him, I felt like I already knew him a bit. It was kind of like meeting a character from a book you've been reading. Mike likes to write a lot, so there was lots of material to base my preconceived character on!

We met at the top of Carson Pass and hiked into the Mokelumne Wilderness, south of Lake Tahoe. It's up pretty high, and you get the feeling like you're walking on top of the world. Part of the trail is shared with the Pacific Crest Trail, but then heads off towards Winnemucca Lake shortly after leaving Frog Lake. The first picture is looking across Frog Lake to the South (you need to click on that picture and view it big!).

Along the hike we spoke of bicycles, endurance racing, potted meats, back country skiing, microwavable spotted dick, and extra large nipples. Our dogs were having a good time too. Even our dogs seemed to act as if they'd met previously.

Early into the hike my dog took an enormous dump right next the trail. I was a little embarrassed at the copious amount he left right in front of our new friends. Danielle started reaching for her pack and said, "Here...I have some plastic dog bags you can use." Now there's a fine line between being environmentally conscious and simply carrying around a colossal bag of poo. Quickly I grabbed two large slabs of bark and carried the freshly laid steamers to their final resting spot behind a downed tree. We hiked on.

I know some of you are looking at that singletrack thinking it'd be sweet to ride. You'd be right. If they allowed mechanized travel in these parts. Since it's the PCT and a wilderness area to boot, you'll only see foot traffic on this trail. Which is fine by me. Some places are meant to be seen at a slower pace.

This was also a very special trip for me, because I just got my camera back from the shop. You may have noticed a lack of original pictures here lately. I borrowed Kristy's camera while mine was in the shop, but that camera and I just don't get along. I couldn't seem to get good pictures out of it, and ended up not taking too many. But I'm back in action now, tormenting everyone with my camera! Hey it's worth it though, right?

We had a great time hanging out with Mike and Danielle. We parted ways at Winnemucca Lake. They headed on to 4th of July Lake to spend the night, and Kristy and I took the boy (who never complained once over the course of 4 miles) and tired dogs back to the car. We hope to have another adventure with them soon!

More pictures of the trip can be found HERE and also HERE!

11 comments:

Mike said...

HA!

Great to spend some time with you guys! The internets is awesome, but walking in the dirt together is the preferred method of communication for sure.

After we left you we went up the hill to Round top lake and saw the last of people for the day. It was cool to look around and see Kirkwood and wonder what the peaks were to the northwest.

Down into the valley where 4th of July Lake hangs above an even deeper valley. We've been up some steep tough and long passes, so this hole didn't seem that deep.

No one else at the lake. Bummer. I also forgot my memory cards for the good camera, so that and the tripod were dead weight! Took a stroll before collapsing and passing out @ 7:30.

About 9:00 Juni started some scary growling. I shined the headlamp and didn't see anything. A while later she did it again and I shined the light through the mesh and saw two eyes glowing by the rock where I left the bear can. Stuck it out the door and saw them moving closer through the woods...

Then it looked full at me and I saw the big ears and skinny legs. Just a deer. Lots of them. they browsed for a few more hours and Juni growled a little for a while. Still creepy...

Hiked out, got Wings @ Red's. Drove home...

Great hanging with you guys! I'll probably just post a link to this as my writeup. Cause I'm feeling lazy. Try to control you dog next time!

-M

Unknown said...

Looks like a beautiful place (but then again, isn't everything out there!).
I agree that not every trail should be ridable. It is a balance, but we bikers typically get the short end of the stick.
Sorry; almost went off on a rant there!
Nice of your son to be such a trooper; my kids were typically whiners when it came to "hikes" or canoe trips.

Smudgemo said...

Everything is beautiful around there, Oldman. Mind-blowing beautiful.

Speaking of meeting fellow bloggers, the Smudgemo family is planning to spend some days toward the end of this month in a freebie in Donner.

Toad's or Flume anyone?

Jeff Moser said...

Not everything. You guys haven't been to Moundhouse yet...

The Smudgemo family would be welcome! Either ride sounds good to me. I've only done Toad's once. Flume Trail is always fun...lots of possibilities up there. Current favorite is Mount Rose Meadows on the TRT, take the flume to Marlette, down to Spooner. The views are way more spectacular than on Toad's!

bryan said...

I want to run on those trails.

bluecolnago said...

"that" camera seems to take prety good pics! sounds ik you had a good adventure!

bluecolnago said...

ik = like, of course

Smudgemo said...

I'll figure out what days we'll be there and see if we can put together a ride and then a post-ride feast of pizza or veggie Mexican, and some dark brewskies. I'll be solo for the ride, but I imagine I can get the family to join us for beer and food.

I'm open to routes as long as there is singletrack and stunning views to be had.

Brent said...

Jeff... if you stand IN Moundhouse and look around, it's still beautiful.

Jeff Moser said...

Do you have to blur your eyes so you can't see the brothels, meth labs, and wrecking yards? The hills above and around Moundhouse are ok...

Jeff Moser said...

Smudgemo...send me an email (my address is in my profile). We'll start planning!

There are some good rides closer to Donner too...