Friday, January 19, 2007

Trek 1600

As promised, my new bike was ready by 5:00 today. Since the bike shop is in Gardnerville, a half hour away from work, Kristy picked it up for me and brought it home. When I got home, I ran into the house to find my bike waiting for me in the living room. Come to think of it, my single speed is still outside on the roof rack. Probably saying, "Uh, yeah...it's freakin' cold out here?!?" Anyway, I took it for a spin up and down the road. I was very pleased at how quickly and effortlessly it accelerated. The 10 speed rear cassette seemed to shift forever!

After dinner I took off the reflectors and floppy toe strap pedals, and bolted on some Shimano SPD pedals. The front brakes weren't lined up too well, so I got on the Park Tools website and figured out how to adjust U brakes. Turns out to be very simple...just one screw!

I'm going to bring it back to the shop tomorrow to ensure a proper fit, but I think it felt pretty good as is. It will probably only need minor adjustments. I don't think the stem will need to be swapped out, but we'll see. I was riding in the dark in complete euphoria when I tested it, so I may not have noticed any problems.

It's kind of hard to see the color of the bike in the picture, but it's gray on the bottom of the tubes that fades to a white on the top of the tubes. I also really like the straight blade forks...they look high tech and fast.

Complete test with some real road miles this weekend...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it will be a road ride this weekend?
Potter.

Jeff Moser said...

Yes, your assumption is correct!

Tim said...

Nothing's as sweet as a brand-new bike. Congratulations on the new ride.

Scott said...

Schwinnngggg! Thats groovy baby.

Brent said...

Did you shave your legs yet, Roadie?

Jeff Moser said...

My legs would look so strange shaved. I've been hairy since the 3rd grade! Probably ain't going to happen.