Sunday, January 21, 2007

Genoa to Diamond Valley

Wow. Today's ride was another great one! I'll begin by saying that this picture is from the New Year's Day ride. Kristy couldn't find her camera, and I brought mine without the memory card. Since it was such a similar day, I figure this recycled picture will do.

This was the first real ride on my new bike, so it goes without saying that I had a blast. It was nearly the same group as the New Year's group, but the pace was much faster from the get go. On top of that, we rode an extra 10 miles or so. I was very thankful for the new bike. I don't think I would've been able to keep up otherwise!

The sun was great today, but the cold biting air was brutal. Most of us had full face protection, and I was wishing for goggles a few times. Halfway through the ride, we stopped at a little store in Woodfords, CA. It has a mountain lodge feel to it, and had a wood stove with a warm fire going. I so much wanted to stay in there and thaw out my feet, but it was time to get going. The last couple miles were in the shadow of the mountain, and we were all chilled to the bone by the time we got back to Genoa. We chatted for a bit after the ride, but soon all jumped in the cars and blasted the heaters.

One of the great things about today's ride was the people. I haven't known anyone in the group for very long, but felt comfortable around them as if I have. Jeff Potter and I had a talking showdown. I think I won though, because he made me shut-up for one of the big descents. Probably a good thing, considering the speeds we reached. Jeff P. hammered the pedals all the way down the descent. I elected to coast and get a feel for the way the new bike handled. The new bike was much more stable feeling than my old touring bike. It'll be a thrill once I gain the confidence to go so much faster.

Kristy made me really proud today. I really think she's found her calling in the road biking. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me, but finally admitted that she was just out riding me. I'm going to have to step it up a notch!

No comments: