Friday, September 15, 2006

When the Wind Blows the Plastic Off your Bike Helmet, Its Time to Go Home

All morning, I have been looking out of my window at the most amazing wind. The huge trees across the street were really bending and I could see occassional small branches fly by. Did this stop me from riding today? No, Jeff and I rode anyway. We made our way slowly to the bike path. It was quite a lot like riding underwater. We agreed to go to the top of the path and then head back. As soon as we got past the wall, a blast of wind filled with dirt and small rocks hit us. The plastic part of my helmet completely lifted off and blew away. That was our queue to turn around and go home. We headed over to Kings Canyon on the way back and had an incredible high speed run down Kings Canyon. Even on the flats we were excellerating! It was fun but I must admit that I was relieved to get back to the office.

1 comment:

Jeff Moser said...

Just to expand on the high speed run coming down Kings Canyon... We were going down the part of the hill where you normally start slowing down, but we kept accelerating...the hum of knobbies on the pavement kept increasing in pitch. It felt like some unseen electric engine. I'm guessing we were in the upper 30's of mph. Not scary in itself, but when you fear the wind will change suddenly and blow you over...

I just checked the weather advisory:

GUSTY WEST WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE PASSAGE OF A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO THIS EVENING. WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH ARE EXPECTED... WITH LOCAL GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH IN WIND PRONE AREAS INCLUDING WASHOE VALLEY.

No wonder we were going so fast!