Tuesday, September 12, 2006

New Helmet Study

"Bicyclists who wear protective helmets are more likely to be struck by passing vehicles, new research suggests." The study claims that motorist drive closer to cyclists wearing helmets!

As for me, I'll continue wearing a helmet. The main reason is that my bald head burns so easily. Secondarily, I ride mixed terrain and firmly believe in wearing helmets off road. Here's a picture of what was left of a helmet after it saved my buddy's life (yes that's blood)...



I also like the quote from article, "We know from research that many drivers see cyclists as a separate subculture, to which they don’t belong..." We all say that we wish more people rode bikes, and we do to some degree, but I think we all take pride in being a separate subculture!

No comments: