Friday, September 29, 2006

Riding with Ryan is Hazardous to your Health

Jeff, Barbara, Ryan, Kathy, and I did Timberline today. Ryan does not know this but when he is riding, the rest of us cringe (well Kathy probably doesn’t) but the rest of us do. Not because we dislike Ryan, it is quite the opposite he is a very cool guy. On top of his prestigious career at DoIt, he is a thespian and attends Burning Man every year. I am not sure it gets cooler than that. Ryan also races, and because of this, he is very fast. Generally when he rides you see him at the beginning for a few minutes and then you see his back side for a few more until he disappears off into the distance. We cringe because he makes the rest of us look bad.

Kathy joined us late so for half the ride, the climbing half, it was me and Ryan up front with Jeff and Barbara in the rear. I decided that I was going to try my best to keep within sight of Ryan and he was doing a great job of holding back. I pushed pretty hard I did not really think it was that hard until the group decided to do an extra hill to the water shed and I attempted and failed. I waived Jeff on who protested saying “come on, you can do it, blah, blah, blah” and I told him no, I felt like I was going to puke. So he took off up the hill and out of site and I started to get all dizzy and clammy and then sat down and puked like 4 times! The funniest part was how incredibly impressed they all were when they came back for me and I showed them what had happened. I also feel this sick (literally) sense of accomplishment.

My husband’s 2006 Specialized Stumpy Expert just arrived so he wants us to go for a ride tonight. I passed; I think 13 miles on a MTB followed by vomit is enough for me today.

No comments: