Sunday, March 25, 2007

Taking it Easy

We decided not to do a big road ride today, since we have a century (metric) ride coming up next weekend. We had originally planned not to ride today, but were talked into it (quite easily I might add) last night right before bed.

We loaded up the mountain bikes and headed for the Pine Nuts trail head. The girls did a loop in the main valley, and I talked the Jeffs into a loop in the next valley over. I had ridden the loop several times before, but it was on my motorcycle. I was hoping it would be as fun on the bicycles. How far would the Jeff's follow me if the trail sucked?

Jeff F. was on a full suspensioned geared bike, I was on my single speed, and Jeff P. was on his new 29er single speed. A few miles in, we got to this very smooth hard packed road. We had the wind at our backs, and we were making good time down the hill. But then it dead ended into private property. Shoot...would I remember how to find the trail? It had been a couple years... We back tracked a ways, and then found a road that looked familiar.

We found the single track that crossed the valley, and it was great. Smooth, twisty, and almost no climbing. It was very relaxing. And the Jeff's praised me. After crossing the valley, the trail turned into miles of rocky uphill. In between the rocky sections were deep unrideable sand washes. I thought the Jeff's might bludgeon me with a rock and stash my body, but they actually appeared to be having fun!

We finally made it to the ridge trail that I was seeking, and the payoff was great. Even better than I had expected! We got to enjoy a couple miles of fast rolling single track along the ridge. We all had smiles at the end.

We encountered quite a few rocks on the way back, and they started taking a toll on my body. The rigid forks were beating me up. Jeff P. seemed to be in much better shape with his rigid forked 29er. The accumulated smoothness of the larger wheels seems to be a big plus for enduring longer rides (that, and Jeff P. is a better rider than me). I could see the Jeff's way up ahead, but they'd wait for me to catch up once in a while. They're nice like that.

When we finally made it back to the trail head, we figured we did about 30 miles. That's by far the longest I've done on the single speed yet! As I type this, I'm feeling totally wiped out. So much for taking it easy...

10 comments:

~ lauren said...

now i'm confused. how many jeff's are there?

is sandie married to jeff? or is kristy? is jeff doing the century next weekend? or was that someone else posting as a jeff?

which by the way, is all pretty much flat - but also very full of beginners so be careful!

it's also quite fun. watch out for the lemon drop man too.

Jeff Moser said...

I get confused writing all this stuff...

There are three Jeff's.

1) There's me (primary blog poster) - married to Kristy
2) Jeff P. - married to Amy
3) Jeff F. - girlfriend is Kathy S., not to be confused with Kathy W that you will see pictures of throughout the blog.
4) Sandie is married to Brent.

All three Jeff's will be doing the century next weekend!

Scott said...

You really need to start using your hollywood nickname..'J-Mo'..

Chris said...

Jeff-I can see where this is going. Test riding your wife's 29er, taking notice of how much easier a time your buddy is having on his 29er.

I predict you have a 29er by June.

Jeff Moser said...

Am I really that shallow, Chris? The idea of me getting a 29er by June is purely chimerical! I'd say July at the earliest...

Jeff P said...

J-Mo',the girls will be riding the century. We will be riding the Cinderfella. BTW great ride.

Tank said...

Don't you worry 'bout Sugar this weekend,I'll be keepin' an eye on her.

Snakebite said...

You guys are having too much fun! By the way - call me "Jeff" (it's not my real name but it adds to the minor confusion).

Jeff Moser said...

Yeah, "Cinderfella" is what I meant, but I'm still not even sure what that means as far as miles. I am assuming we will not do less than the girls...

Lauren - What the heck is the lemon drop man?

Jeff - Sure thing. Which Jeff you ask? I'm not sure anymore...

Tank - Keep your filthy paws off my Sugar.

~ lauren said...

cinderfella means you're riding it backwards i think.

lemon drop man you prolly won't see if you're riding it backwards.

there are some nice wineries out there too. pretty place to ride.