Thursday, February 15, 2007

Susan B

"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood."
Susan B. Anthony

Kathy provided us with this quote today, it was rather fitting for me this week. I had a test on Monday so I could not ride. Naturally, I was itching to get out on Tuesday. I even had two rides planed but my front tire was flat! I have watched my mechanic, I mean Brent, change flats before and he has often tried to hold what he calls a "fix a flat clinic" in the back yard. My first thought (as was Kathy's when Mike tried the same thing) was why, my tire is not flat. So I have never taken him up on the offer.

Anyway, I decided to dive in and fix the flat or I was not going to get to ride. I found a thorn on the inside of the tire, removed it with needle nose plyers I borrowed from my IT guy, found the hole in the tube, patched it, and put the tire back on. I am very happy to report it is still holding air and I feel the freedom of self reliance that Susan B speaks of!

I am hanging on to my mechanic though cos he is nice to look at...

3 comments:

Todd said...

You chicks are all the same. It's all about the 'eye candy'.

Meanwhile, we work and slave to keep trim enough to squeeze into our bike shorts without spilling over too much. We might even cut back to 4 beers per night instead of finishing the whole six pack all for you and what appreciation do we get? One little 'good to look at' comment?

I feel so exploited...

rigtenzin said...

Successfully patching a tube is an advanced-level repair nowadays. Good job! It's the sort of thing that builds confidence. You'll probably be working in a bike shop within a year. I'm not kidding. It's a sickness and once it gets started, you'll never stop it.

Sandie said...

Todd, if you did not want to be objectified please explain the "dukes" you wear in the summer...