Thursday, October 04, 2007

Gopher Snake


Gopher Snake
Originally uploaded by Facility Bike Club.
We saw this Gopher Snake on today's ride. I think Jon accidentally ran over it...the tracks seem to go where the poor guy's neck is. He appeared to be ok though.

I couldn't figure out if it was a Gopher Snake or a Bull Snake. But after researching this particular conundrum, I found that these two species are one in the same. So pick your favorite name!

Gopher snakes have a great defense. They look a lot like rattlesnakes at first glance. It takes a few seconds to examine the head and tail before you're confident that you're not in any danger. And by that time, the snake has usually crawled off into the bushes.

2 comments:

Tim said...

One more reason I'm happy to live in Alaska: NO FREAKING SNAKES!

Unknown said...

Snakes? I ain't afraida no snakes!
Well, I am a little, so could you round them up and have them "stored" some where while we're there?
I would really appreciate it.