Friday, August 10, 2007

Safety Lights


Safety LIghts
Originally uploaded by Facility Bike Club.
Last week I had some great suggestions on what to get for night time cruising. We ended up going with these $9 Safety Lights, partly based on price, and partly on recommendation of the LBS owner. He said he's used them, and they seemed bullet proof. Since we were buying three, I really liked the price tag.

The plastic lens color is different on all three, but the flashing light is red on all. There is a button on the back to turn them on or off, and allows you to cycle through a variety of different steady or flashing patterns. You can go from a steady, consistent glow, all the way to "Night on Disco Mountain". Of course we chose the Disco pattern for last night's cruise.

Lat night, my friend Mike let me try out his old Schwinn that had a 2 speed rear hub. I'd never heard of such a thing. To shift you back pedaled slightly. You could alternate rapidly between the two gears this way. Back pedaling all the way activated the coaster brake. Seemed like a pretty cool design to me. I wonder why it disappeared? I'm guessing the faster 10 speed road bike killed it.

5 comments:

Brent said...

These are the lights Dan sells for $5 that I told you about. At least that's what I paid 2 years ago...

Tim said...

I found the same lights at a Fred Meyer supermarket a couple of years ago, and bought a couple for my daughter to use on her school backpack on dark winter mornings. I figured they were too cheaply made to use on a bike -- especially in bad weather -- but then I fell into the habit of using the spare one we had laying around.

Those are great little lights. Cheap and durable. Mine are still going strong even after being used in rain, snow and sub-zero temps. I love finding a bargain.

Brent said...

I love mine and use it for more than just biking. Long battery life is a huge bonus too!

Marcus said...

I have had one for at least 10 years. I use it occasionally. I think I changed the battery on it once. LED technology rules. And now with DISCO... Could life get any better? Jeff, I think this warrants some sort of Ipod harness stero system for at least one of the cruisers in your quiver.

Brent said...

Today's price at Dan's... $8.99. I got a bargain a couple years back! Woo-hoo!!!