Thursday, October 07, 2004

Huevos Grandes

The more you get away with, the braver you get, Patrick said. True statement. Back into the burn area... Today we pedaled up rocky road (which is now red from fire retardant), and then attempted the back side of the tree run. The tree run was covered in an enormous amount of hay. It looked like the aftermath of some crazy hoe-down. I came to the quick realization that we haven't done a hill this steep in a long time. I spun up the hill until my back tire slipped and forward momentum ceased. At first I couldn't get unclipped, and almost DeVito'd into the side of the hill. I was at 100% heart rate, and had to hang over the bike for a few seconds before continuing to walk up the hill. When we got to the top of the tree run, we gazed up the deer run. Looks like it hasn't been ridden for months. I was tempted, but it was time to go. We blasted down the "V", and then headed down the fast path. We came across a hiker, and he appeared to be more than a little nervous. Patrick and I were both wearing tan jerseys with black shorts. I suspect he thought we were cops swooping in to give him a ticket for trespassing. He God Blessed us, and then we were on our way.

It looks like we're not the only ones that can't wait any longer. There were tracks of all sorts up there...horse, bicycle, joggers, and ATV. Someone has even started building rock trail markers that guide you onto the trails.

No comments: