Sunday, April 22, 2007


Today we rode in the Chico Wildflower. We didn't do the whole 100 miles, but we did 73, making it a "seventy-three-tury". We completed the two hard climbs, and they were the most rewarding part of the ride.

We woke up at 5:45 and headed down for breakfast at the Holiday Inn. We had a good helping of carbohydrates and some really bad coffee. Luke warm, watered down Folgers. Bad coffee to a cyclist is like garlic to a vampire or wolfsbane to a werewolf. There were a lot of cyclists running around the hotel ready to go before the sun was even up. There was a slight drizzle of rain outside, but it appeared to be stopping!

We got to the fairgrounds at around 7:40. We had already checked in yesterday, so all we had to do is park the car and ride. We spent the next 15 minutes debating what to wear on the ride. We were trying to figure out how to stay comfortable all day long through changing conditions. We looked around, and some folks were dressed in winter gear while others were wearing shorts. We finally dressed in more layers than a Taco Bell burrito. We were comfortable all day. Toasty when it got cold, and cool when the sun came out. The temperatures were all over the place today! We brought knee warmers, arm warmers, wind vests, and rain jackets. All were very appreciated. I think we both could have used some toe warmers though.

I think my favorite part of the ride was the Honey Run Climb. It was narrow, steep, twisty, lots of riding graffiti on the road, with misty cloudy skies. The most rewarding climb was the Table Mountain loop. The climb was long and steep, but the scenery was beautiful. We were both really glad to see the top and we both had a great sense of accomplishment that we conquered the climb. They had a shuttle taking some cyclists to the top. I can imagine that climb being overwhelming for folks that haven't had enough time in the saddle this year!

After Table Mountain, it was mostly downhill or flat. We had a pretty good lunch around 2:00, and then put in some pretty good miles before reaching the last rest stop. We had already gone around 60 some miles at this point. The course had another 20 miles left on it, but we were pretty wiped out. We took Jones Avenue back towards Chico, and rode through several miles of fruit trees. The traffic was light, and there were few cyclists. It was a good cool-down to end the ride with.

There were all sorts of cyclists on the road today. Men, women, and children. There were mostly road bikes, but we saw a few mountain bikes, and even a couple single speeds! We didn't see any wrecks thankfully, but we saw about a hundred roadside flat repairs! I can't imagine what was causing the flats. I certainly didn't see any road hazards. Maybe it's a good rule of thumb to put some new tubes in before a big ride like this.

They had a decent looking buffet setup in a cafeteria-like setting back at the fairgrounds, but we were ready to head to the Sierra Nevada Brewery. We went back to the hotel for a bath...for some reason there wasn't enough water pressure for a shower...and then headed down for some beer and pizza. We both had a pint of the draft style pale ale, and then we shared a stout which also went very well with the brownie for dessert! It's nearly 9:00 P.M. and we are both ready for some sleep! Tomorrow we'll head back over Donner Pass for home. And a day off work!

The full set of this weekend's ride is HERE.


Jeff P said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Are we riding after work Tuesday?

~ lauren said...

such cute pics of you two! i love them!

ok, so now i remember what happened to us when we did that century.

we did it on a tandem and we camped the night before at the fairgrounds.

the bummer was that there was some sort of giant celebration the night before at the fairgrounds too, and there was an oompa band that you could hear miles away - but we were right next to it and the crowd.

the ground was pulsating from the base being so loud. i think they finally stopped around 1 am.

Jeff Moser said...

Jeff P...I didn't get the memo! Did we switch Wednesday nights to Tuesday nights, or are you just making sure I don't get any rest?

Luaren...I was very thankful to get a good night's sleep. I was down at the front desk the next morning and some cyclist was complaining that people were running up and down the halls screaming all night. Glad we didn't pick that floor!

Sandie said...

Are those crows feet Jeff? Kristy looking as beautiful as ever. Looks like you kids had a great time, wish we were there (cept the rain part).

Jeff P said...

Oops! You're right,my mistake. I guess I can't wait to see you in lycra.

Jeff Moser said...

Yes, I am looking a bit weathered, aren't I? I think they make me look quite distinguished and scholarly.

Kristy said...

We heard that you can camp right at the fairgrounds, but we decided it might be nice to get a good nights rest and a shower. Turned out to be a good choice because it poured rain all day Saturday and Sat. night too. Luckily it was mostly dry for the ride on Sunday.

There was a wedding reception at our Hotel Sunday night when we got back from the ride. We were so tired we slept right through it.

We sure had fun and we even saw some friends that we met at the Cinderella. Plus our friends from Carson that ride the quint were there too! I really liked the area, very green and lush from all the rain. Very relaxing....

rigtenzin said...

The first photo looks like a really difficult climb. Who paints all the messages on the road?

Jeff Moser said...

That first climb is pretty steep, but it is early in the ride while the adrenaline is still flowing. The 2nd climb was more punishing, since you were further out, getting a little tired, and knew it loomed before you.

I don't know much about the area. It was my first time there. I'm assuming it's a local thing, since the climb is so close to town. There were miles of messages.

Anonymous said...

"distinguished and scholarly". That makes me "ancient and scruffy".